Friday, October 29, 2010

Midlife Euphoria Day 9

Midlife Euphoria Day 9
Youth is all about how you feel!
In year 1998 we went to the United States. We were going to be on the East course as my husband was attending a course. I had tracked down a college pal who was in the West course. We were not going to meet, however we talked on the phone every day. This was about 30 years (ouch!) after passing out of college.
She asked me how I looked now. Before I could say anything I thought struck me. Since we were not going to meet why not indulge in a little prank? I told her I look just the same and am maintaining my 50 odd Kilograms weight. She was quite impressed. Just for a bit of fun I added that now I have lustrous long hair till my waist which I always longed for in college. On inquiring about her, she informed me that she had recently joined a gym and had lost oodles of weight and was now wearing off shoulder and backless dresses. We were suitably impressed with each other. After that we remained in touch.
Two years later we were going to the US once again and this time to the West Course. My friend Sukhi, was coming to receive me at the airport. The fantasy was going to come to an end. At the airport we burst out laughing when we saw each other. I was my 50 odd Kilograms but the “odd ones” were about 15 and my famous mop of hair for which I was nick named Dingo in college remained the same, just above my shoulder. Sukhi without doubt was overweight and was togged up in the straightforward blue jeans with no-frills top that did nothing for her declared figure. She had also played on the deception I had started. But the fact of the matter was that we still felt as if we were in college. Even though physically we had grown (sideways) but mentally we still experienced the same joie de vivre.
Recently we met up a bunch of college pals in Delhi. I was meeting a couple of them after a gap of 35 years. Each one had moved on in life with some of us achieving accolades in our respective jobs, some with married children, some on the threshold of marrying them, retiring husbands etc. We resolve to do these reunions at least once a year, where whoever can join is welcome.
In one of our previous meetings a friend of ours seemed very distraught. She looked pensive and brooding giving her an unhealthy pallor. She had her children a little late so her responsibility towards the household had prolonged a little more than a couple of us, who had grownup children leaving us with more time on hand. Even if some of us took a break when the children were young had now resumed active work. Most of us were working either full time or at leisure or involved in some stimulating activity. She felt sorry for herself as if life was slipping away without meeting several unfulfilled passions.
This time when we met again after a couple of years it was wonderful to see her radiant and cheerful. On inquiry one learnt that she had actively got involved with a Non Government Organization (NGO). This NGO works for the cause of the Girl Child. Now she was purposefully employed, managing her household chores and finding enough time for the NGO. Her efforts are greatly appreciated and with help they are trying to adopt a village where the issues relating to the Girl Child will be dealt with. With not knowing what to do in the spare time she had, now she has her hands full with a day full of commitments.
This state of mind is entirely up to you. When you come out of your sluggishness you realize that you can fit many other activities in your schedule which seemed near impossible earlier. Take this friend, not only does she find time for her affairs in the NGO, besides her household chores (which she is accomplishing more efficiently) she manages to go to the gym at least three times a week and is planning to publish a book. Isn’t that amazing!!!
The point I am trying to make is that there is no age to pick up where you left or start a new venture that revitalizes your life. Also left to yourself you wallow in your gloominess and are not motivated to take positive steps to rectify your circumstances. But when you meet people at an equal footing especially your college friends you are stirred and want to show them your former mettle.
Therefore as one is growing older it is important to connect with your childhood friends, if only to get the spark of youth and vigour. They are like soda in a glass of whisky shaking you out of melancholy and putting you in high spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment