Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Midlife Euphoria Day 2

Midlife Euphoria Day 2
Very often you may have noticed a 5 year old girl trying to balance on her mom’s high heels or a boy trying to fit into his father’s shoes. A self-doubting thirteen year will undoubtedly proclaim to be fifteen if you happen to come across one. They want to dress, behave and appear older than their age. They are in a hurry to grow up
This equation changes dramatically when you are approaching your 30’s. Time seems to have flown yet you feel like you are still 20. Approaching 30’s is like the first step towards old age. You may notice the first white hair on your head, the hint of a wrinkle around your eyes or an extra tyre on your waist. The realization coupled with your 30t birthday can really be devastating. On the other hand since I have gone through this period let me assure you all these transformations are easily reversible physically, or with the help of avant-garde beauty aids. However this is the most difficult rite of passage
I remember a conversation once my 19 year old daughter was having with her friend. They were discussing a teacher, referring to her “as that old one”. I overheard the conversation and just out of curiosity asked how old was the person in question. They looked at each other and said about 30 or so. I was shocked 30 and old! Are they kidding? I was then 40 plus and felt young, energetic and far from “old”. Perception of age is therefore very relative.
Forties is a mile stone when you are neither the gawky teenager, nor the arbitrator trying to figure out the nuances of life and relationships. You are in possession of profuse confidence which stems from perceptiveness of your inner supremacy and vulnerability. This is the time to cherish and enjoy the outcome of the hard work that you have invested in your career, marriage, friendship or any other relationship that you have nurtured for years. You have, or are about to reach the pinnacle of your career, are accepted with all your imperfection and idiosyncrasies or else you have figured out how to handle populace who fail to recognize you for the person you are. You have a bevy of associates but you can unmistakably distinguish mere acquaintances from close friends. You undoubtedly know who to approach  in times of stress and  catastrophe. On my 40th birthday I was very touched when my brother presented me with a plaque that proclaimed, “Life begins at forty.” I loved it.  All my apprehensions on turning 40 disappeared.
At fifty plus I am thrilled when some one tells me I look younger and I take great pride in correcting them to reveal my exact age. At fifty I felt that  "Life begins at 50". I hope I feel the same at age 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment